Item description for Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests Into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church by Nelson Searcy & Jennifer Dykes Henson...
Overview Searcys step-by-step, biblically grounded, and proven plan for establishing a relationship with newcomers at church can ultimately prompt them to become fully developing members of a congregation.
Publishers Description Creating an environment that both embraces our newcomers and excites them enough to return does not happen by chance. We must be prepared to be effective stewards of those God brings us. Why should the Church not be the epitome of service at its best, as modeled by the greatest server of all time? Built on The Journey Church of the City's Assimilation Seminar, "Fusion "embodies a step by step, biblically grounded, tested and proven plan for establishing a relationship with necomers that ultimately prompts them to become fully developing members of our congregations. This innovative, practical guide is full of how to information, testimonials from the recently assimilated and from participating church leaders, examples of the assimilation materials used and check points to make sure the reader is on track. Engaging, informative and immediately applicable, here is help for setting newcomers on the path toward true life transformation and spiritual maturity.
Promise Angels is dedicated to bringing you great books at great prices. Whether you read for entertainment, to learn, or for literacy - you will find what you want at promiseangels.com!
Studio: Regal Books
Est. Packaging Dimensions: Length: 0.5" Width: 5.5" Height: 8.25" Weight: 0.5 lbs.
Release Date Jan 2, 2008
Publisher GOSPEL LIGHT PUBLISHERS #9
ISBN 0830745319 ISBN13 9780830745319
Availability 0 units.
More About Nelson Searcy & Jennifer Dykes Henson
Nelson Searcy is the founding and lead pastor of The Journey Church. Started in 2002 in New York City, this groundbreaking church sees the majority of its growth coming from new believers and currently meets in locations in Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island, as well as additional locations in San Francisco and Boca Raton. Nelson is the recipient of the prestigious 2013 Donald A. McGavran Award for Outstanding Leadership in Great Commission Research. He is the author of more than seventy-five church growth resources and twelve books, including The Generosity Ladder, Maximize, Connect, and Ignite. Nelson is also an experienced church planter, coach, and church-growth strategist. Before to founding The Journey, he served as the director of the Purpose Driven Community at Saddleback Church. He is also the founder of ChurchLeaderInsights.com and the Renegade Pastors Network. Jennifer Dykes Henson is a freelance writer based in New York City. She has served as a writer/producer and ministry consultant to organizations across the East Coast. Prior to moving to New York, Jennifer worked with Dr. Charles Stanley as the manager of marketing communications for In Touch Ministries in Atlanta, Georgia.
Nelson Searcy currently resides in New York City, in the state of New York.
Good supplement to Purpose-Driven Church Mar 31, 2010
If you have never read a book about church growth, I recommend that you first read Purpose-Driven Church by Rick Warren. Once you have a grasp of Warren's book, Fusion will be an excellent supplement as you begin to plan how you will assimilate first-time guests into the life of your church.
Changed Our Church! Mar 26, 2010
First a little background:
First read this book 14 months ago. In January of 2009 I stood up before our church and said that in one year we would be a church of over 250. At the time we were around 130 and had been that size for almost 19 years. I had gone to Catalyst earlier that year and bought a talk by Andy Stanley on systems. Committed myself to learning everything I could about Leadership & Systems - which of course brought me to Nelson Searcy. Read Fusion first, then Activate. Completely changed how we did Assimilation and Small Groups. Two weeks ago we had 336 in attendance!
2nd time around take aways:
- reminded again what a "gift" guests are! A sacred trust from God.
-Still love the Ritz Carlton illustration! God will not give us more guests than we are prepared to handle.
- Reminded of a few "little" things on the outside of our building that we need to take care of - i.e., better landscaping.
- We have a 5 minute Volunteer V.I.P. (vision, information, and prayer) meeting every Sunday 25 minutes before each service so our 1st impression team can be in place 20 minutes before the service. We need to be more intentional about consistently reminding them about their job.
- sometimes we slack off on the food. needed to be reminded of that
- We use the Connection Card and follow up almost exactly the same after reading it over a year ago. It has been truly transformational. However, after reading and hearing the information again I also needed to be reminded about doing a better job of getting everyone to fill out the card.
- Also, for some reason, we never did the month follow up letter (will start doing that).
- Also, we need to continually look to do a better job of creating "sticky" situations for easy sign ups. Easy to do during Small Group sign ups, but we need to be more intentional during the rest of the year. Need more "fun" or "play" events.
One thing that we do periodically, especially if a series lends itself to it, is we do give-aways at the end of the service connected to the Connection Card. For example, used your teaching series, "Accelerate." Have a guy in our church who raced in Nascar with Richard Petty, Earnhardt, etc. and gave us some really cool memorabilia. We announced at the beginning of the service to be sure to fill out your Connection Card because we were going to be using those to give away some gifts. We get 100% participation and our people even write on their card "draw another card and give to a guest."
Anyway, great 2nd time read! Loved the Webinar as well.
Pastor Chris Rollins Coastal Community Church Charleston SC
Max Out Your Seating Capacity. We Did! Mar 23, 2010
As the Senior Pastor of a church in a small community, we were always looking for ways to not only reach people, but keep people. The Book Fusion has given us a formula that works. After implementing the ideas presented by Nelson, we have seen our first time guests turn into second time guests and then into regular attendees. As a result, we have grown from an average weekly attendance of 180 to 225 in just 3 months. Awesome! The book gave us some powerful ideas. These are some take away's from the book that have revolutionized our church.
1. The guests who come through our doors are gifts from God and what we do with that gift proves how much we appreciate them. No one person who comes through our door comes haphazardly. By sending that guest to us, God is giving us the privilege of cooperating with Him to move someone forward in their journey toward Jesus.
2. All we get is 7 minutes to make a positive first impression. In the first seven minutes of contact with our church, our first-time guests will know whether or not they are coming back.
3. The four components of the pre-service will help determine whether our first-time guests will return or not. These four components are crucial in creating the first impression. They way we greet people, direct people, treat people, and seat people will make their experience with us a lasting one.
4. Creating a Communication Card is crucial, not just for us, but for our 1st time guest. This is how we can help them move from un-churched visitors to fully developing followers of Jesus. Having everyone from member to first-time time guest fill out the card is necessary to help our guests fill out their card.
5. Follow through is not optional; it's integral. Our follow-up needs to be fast but it has to be friendly and not look like some mass mailing. But it also needs to contain a gift which lets them know that we truly appreciated their being our guests.
6. When our guests return for a second look, we have won 80% of the battle because we have increased our chances that they will begin a journey with Christ. It is during this second visit that we encourage them to take the next steps and we follow-up with them again through either e-mail or snail mail.
7. A major key is to create sticky situations because if we do not connect our second time guests to others in our church, within four to six months they will be gone. Our job is to guide them in the right direction to form relationships that 10. We want to offer people service opportunities because this gives people an opportunity to connect with others as well as helping them take ownership of the church. And, as they take ownership of the church that moves them closer to church membership.
This book has been a gift from God. Thanks nelson.
Rick Dorr [...]
Show the Love Mar 23, 2010
What a great book. Filled with no brainer ideas to show non believers the love that we say we have. and it doesnt cost much to implement, But it does take effort. Just like anything else in life thats worth while. If you want to grow a church, this is a must read common sense book.
A Must Read ... Mar 10, 2010
This is a must read for anyone, especially pastors, who are interested in seeing people come to know Jesus Christ and then helping them to find a home in the local church. Nelson Searcy gives practical tools that can be put into practice in any size church. They are tools that he knows will work because He's has applied them in his own ministry. It's a great resource!