Item description for Pure Kingdom: Jesus' Vision of God (Studying the Historical Jesus) by Bruce Chilton...
A coherent picture of Jesus' teaching on the kingdom that deals with relevant critical scholarship in an accessible way. Fresh and comprehensive, it brings readers up to date in the current debate about the historical Jesus.
Citations And Professional Reviews Pure Kingdom: Jesus' Vision of God (Studying the Historical Jesus) by Bruce Chilton has been reviewed by professional book reviewers and journalists at the following establishments -
Publishers Weekly - 06/24/1996 page 53
Booklist - 09/01/1996 page 36
Promise Angels is dedicated to bringing you great books at great prices. Whether you read for entertainment, to learn, or for literacy - you will find what you want at promiseangels.com!
Studio: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Est. Packaging Dimensions: Length: 9.2" Width: 6.08" Height: 0.5" Weight: 0.65 lbs.
Release Date Dec 3, 2005
Publisher Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company
ISBN 0802841872 ISBN13 9780802841872
Availability 52 units. Availability accurate as of Jan 16, 2017 06:14.
Usually ships within one to two business days from La Vergne, TN.
Orders shipping to an address other than a confirmed Credit Card / Paypal Billing address may incur and additional processing delay.
More About Bruce Chilton
Bruce Chilton is a leading scholar of early Christianity and Judaism and is currently Bernard Iddings Bell Professor of Religion at Bard where he also directs the Institute of Advanced Theology. He has taught in Europe at the Universities of Cambridge, Sheffield, and Munster, and in the United States at Yale University (as the first Lillian Claus Professor of New Testament).
Bruce Chilton has an academic affiliation as follows - Bard College, New York Bard College, USA Bard College, USA Bard Colleg.
Bruce Chilton has published or released items in the following series...
Christianity and Judaism, the Formative Categories
Reviews - What do customers think about Pure Kingdom: Jesus' Vision of God (Studying the Historical Jesus)?
wonderful Sep 21, 2007
what a marvelous book. chilton does tremendous research and is very passionate in his writing. extremely well written and enjoyable. i read 'rabbi jesus' also and that was excellent. i highly reccomend this book to anyone who wants to explore the beauty of jesus and his teachings.
New perspective for a reader on historical Jesus May 5, 2003
I re-read the professional reviews, and I think they fairly present the author's approach. To these good reviews I will merely add my few minor thoughts.
1) This book is not devotional reading for Christians who are mostly focused on living a godly life. It requires some thought and a genuine interest in Jesus history.
2) Bruce Chilton says he is associated with the Jesus Seminar. I've read a little from others associated with the Jesus seminar, like Crossan and Funk. This is NOTHING like the other Jesus Seminar writers. He clearly places Jesus within (the variegated) Second Temple Judaism, and credits him with thorough knowledge of Hebrew Scripture.
3) I was impressed with how carefully Chilton develops his arguments throughout the book, along the way making some very enlightening observations.
4) His book changed my understanding of the Kingdom of God, and how Jesus delivered it to those to whom he ministered.
5) I'm not good enough a reader or well trained enough in history or theology to know whether I truly agree with everything Chilton wrote, but he wrote many things in this book that I found worthy to ponder and to recommend to others.
6) I have now purchased other books of his because I liked this one so well.