Item description for Language History, Language Change, and Language Relationship: An Introduction to Historical and Comparative Linguistics (Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs, 93) by Hans Henrich Hock...
Why does language change? Why can we speak to and understand our parents but have trouble reading Shakespeare? Why is Chaucer's English of the fourteenth century so different from Modern English of the late twentieth century that the two are essentially different languages?
Why are Americans and English 'one people divided by a common language'? And how can the language of Chaucer and Modern English - or Modern British and American English - still be called the same language?
The present book provides answers to questions like these in a straightforward way, aimed at the non-specialist, with ample illustrations from both, familiar and more exotic languages.
Promise Angels is dedicated to bringing you great books at great prices. Whether you read for entertainment, to learn, or for literacy - you will find what you want at promiseangels.com!
Est. Packaging Dimensions: Length: 9.06" Width: 6.14" Height: 1.26" Weight: 1.98 lbs.
Publisher Walter de Gruyter
ISBN 311014784X ISBN13 9783110147841
Availability 0 units.
More About Hans Henrich Hock
Hans Henrich Hock was born in 1938 and has an academic affiliation as follows - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Reviews - What do customers think about Language History, Language Change, and Language Relationship: An Introduction to Historical and Comparative Linguistics (Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs, 93)?
prior experience a must May 17, 2007
1st of all, historical/comparative linguistics is not something for beginners. historical linguistics in itself doesn't start in college until the 300 level; that means you probablly should have 3 or 4 linguistics classes under your belt already.
2nd historical linguistics is a mountain to climb as it is. without a teacher i don't think anyone could obtain a thorough understanding.
3rd i personally met brian joseph and that guy knows his stuff.
I'm not getting down on the other comment but you gotta crawl before you walk and this is no beginner's book.
Starts off at a simple level, but too abruptly increases in its demands Mar 25, 2007
LANGUAGE HISTORY, LANGUAGE CHANGE, AND LANGUAGE RELATIONSHIP is an introductory textbook to historical/comparative linguistics by Hans Heinrich Hock and Brian D. Joseph. It began as a simplification of Hock's widely respected handbook Principles of Historical Linguistics (De Gruyter, 2nd ed. 1991). Around 85% percent of the content is Hock's distillation of previously written material, while the remaining 15% was contributed by Josephs to, in the publisher's words, "give a fully American perspective". Joseph's contributions are most readily visible in the treatment of the Balkan Sprachbund, one of his research interests.
For about the first 130 pages, this textbook is a fairly admirable introduction to historical linguistics for neophytes, containing remarks on the general phenomenon of language change (i.e. the difference between the Lord's Prayer in Old English and in Modern English), a basic introduction to phonetics and phonology, and an explanation of the divergence of the Indo-European languages. There's even a chapter on writing systems here, which the other introductory textbooks I'm familiar with tend to overlook. Hock's examples are generally drawn from the Indo-European languages, and he seems to assume that the reader will be focusing on this language family. The book may now seem a little dated in its treatment of the glottalic hypothesis as a raging controversy, as that seems to have died down, but the reconstruction of Proto-Indo-European generally follows contemporary mainstream lines.
However, the textbook then makes a great jump in what it expects from the reader, going from an appropriately simple tone to one very little different from PRINCIPLES OF HISTORICAL LINGUISTICS. Mouton de Gruyter's typesetting doesn't help, as it follows a style appropriate for a handbook but rather intimidating for a textbook. For those looking to read up on basic historical linguistics, I'd much rather recommend Lyle Campbell's Historical Linguistics, 2nd Edition: An Introduction (MIT Press, 2nd ed. 2004), which is written at a very genial tone throughout. And after that, one should be well-equipped to go straight on to PRINCIPLES OF HISTORICAL LINGUISTICS, skipping this odd mishmash.
Ask A Question or Provide Feedback regarding Language History, Language Change, and Language Relationship: An Introduction to Historical and Comparative Linguistics (Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs, 93)
Add This Product Widget To Your Website
Looking to add this information to your own website? Then use our Product Widget to allow you to display product information in a frame that is 120 pixels wide by 240 pixels high.